December 17, 2008

What can BRIBES do for you??


We recently started potty-training Mari. Yup, she is over two and a half, and I decided now was the time. I mean after all, we are in temporary housing so any accidents won't be on my carpet or my furniture!!!
The girl likes bribes, functions well with bribes, but only the short term kind. Once during the process I told her she could have a lollipop if she produced a certain bodily by-product in the potty. She proceeded to sit on the potty for the next 15 to 20 minutes until her little body complied and the lollipop was hers!!
I knew right away that it would cause nothing but tears and aggravation to offer a prize/gift for being completely potty-trained, like we did for Calli. Instead, I took on the short term, immediate goal. My offer on Day 1: "Mari, if you wear panties today, we will go to the ice-cream store tonight when Dadda comes home!!!" It worked.
We are *now* just over a week into the process, and coming along nicely - but slowly. If I make her try every 45 minutes or so - she does great! But if I don't mention it - neither will she. And I don't really think she minds being wet. Hmmm - what else to try?? daily visits to the ice-cream store???


2 comments:

Grandma G said...

There's a book I read many years ago (like 30? :-) ) called "Toilet Training in Less Than a Day". It'd be worth a read (Amazon has it, but maybe you could get it from a library first). Even if you didn't do the 'less than a day' thing, it might give you some helpful tips. I thought it was pretty good.

ruth said...

I'm all for ice cream everyday:)
Seems like forever ago that I was potty training my two girls...I wish you the best and agree...since you're in temporary housing...it's a good time:).
Love,
Ruth